What We Do
The West Virginia Northern Panhandle Consortium’s First Time Home Buyer program (FTHB) assists individuals and families in obtaining affordable housing within Hancock County, Brooke County, and the City of Weirton by providing down-payment and closing cost assistance up to $10,000. The money is distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis in each jurisdiction, and is limited to a certain number of families per year.
How to Receive Service
To be eligible for the FTHB grant, you must meet the following:
- Be a first time home buyer
- Meet income eligibility for the area and family size
- Have a signed real estate agreement for the following areas: Brooke and Hancock Counties or the city of Weirton
- Have a pre-qualification agreement with a qualified lender
- Provide a $50.00 application fee
- The maximum loan amount for the home must not exceed $128,000
- Applicant must complete our Housing Counseling class before applying for down payment assistance
- The house must meet HUD’s Housing Quality Standards prior to funding
- Read this document before applying: LEAD Paint Home Inspection UD: 07-12-16
Please call our office first to determine if funding is still available. If you’re eligible, you can stop by the CHANGE, Inc. Administrative office to pickup an application.
If you have an impairment, disability, language barrier, or otherwise require an alternative means of accessing information about housing counseling, please talk to your housing counselor about arranging alternative accommodations.
Application updated 10-11-17