What We Do
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites help low to moderate income level residents and older taxpayers prepare their returns for free during tax season.
Services We Provide
VITA not only helps with tax prep, but also to see if individuals are elible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit.
EITC is a refundable tax credit, which means you can get money back even if you owe no federal income tax or had no tax withheld., and if you owe tax, it can off set the amount you must pay.
The Child Tax Credit is a federal tax credit available to families that have earned above a set amount and can claim at least one dependent child under 17 years of age.
How To Receive Service
Services are available to individuals/families who meet the income requirements, which are set annually by the IRS. CHANGE, Inc. operates these tax prep sites in Hancock, Brooke, Ohio and Marshall Counties in West Virginia.
A list for local sites for 2017 taxes will be posted here once all sites have been confirmed. Please check back toward the end of the year!
Bring the following documentation to your appointment:
- Photo proof of identification
- Social Security cards for individual, spouse, and dependents.
- Wage and earning statement(s) forms W-2, W2G, and 1099-R.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099).
- Copies of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit for refunds.